Thursday, January 14, 2010

Methods

I just finished reading Pacifism As Pathology by Ward Churchill. It was an excellent read; however, the quote that stuck out to me most wasn't Churchill's own words. It was a quote from Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael):
If we are to consider ourselves as revolutionaries, we must acknowledge that we
have an obligation to succeed in pursuing revolution. Here, we must
acknowledge not only the power of our enemies, but our own power as well.
Realzing the nature of our power, we must not deny ourselves the exercise of the
options available to us; we must utilize surprise, cunning and flexibility; we
must use the strength of our enemy to undo him, keeping him confused and
off-balance. We must organize with perfect clarity to be utterly unpredictable.
When our enemies expect us to respond to provocation with violence, we must
react calmly and peacefully; just as they anticipate our passivity, we must
throw a grenade.

Now I realize that I am potentially igniting a firestorm by highlighting this quote but I can't emphasize enough how much this quote got me thinking. I have been wrestling for months with the following questions. Does pacifism work? Is there ever a time where more direct action is called for or justified? What keeps those of us working on a variety of social justice issues from unifying? How do we build solidarity in our community? I am going to leave you all with these questions and this quote to see what dialogue, if any, ensues.

3 comments:

Cerwydwyn said...

Okay, I'll bite. With my un-thought out thoughts on the quote.
What do you mean by social justice? Hating the white W European people(s) for operating within their social setup/paradigm and putting forth the ideal of the Noble Savage and the Kidnapped African?
I don't think social justice can come about by hate. Not by throwing bombs. Not by beating the shit out of anyone.
Love, kindness, respect, empathy, sympathy, consideration. Love. Those are the keys to taming the beast.
I don't know that you can tame corporate America but you can fight for a cleaner environment without hurting anyone. That doesn't make you more right, it just makes you more like the Bad Guys.

Momma said...

Yeah, I have been chewing on this since you posted, hoping to have someone else step in & say something. No luck so I am responding ;-)

Let me take a slightly different angle. Why was it okay for the colonists to revolt but it isn't okay for us now to do the same?
Take a look at this: http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/poll-75-angry-federal-government-policies
If so many people are dissatisified, then why are there so many people just continuing on business as usual? Have we all been lulled into complacency by pacifism? Do we think the system is going to change without getting dirty along the way?

Cerwydwyn said...

Rereading my comment I have to say, there isn't much there to comment on. It wasn't very well thought out, except that I do believe that killing the blameless in search of righteousness is bullshit.
As you know, my father is rich. There are no two ways around that. He has WORKED HIS ASS OFF FOR HIS ENTIRE LIFE building on what he inherited (a bankrupt shipyard). There are a lot of people who don't believe he is entitled to keep his hard earned wealth, some of whom would feel justified in throwing that grenade at an 81 year old man, simply because he has more money. The fact that he worked hard, worked SMART, and didn't take much out for himself doesn't count.
The way I see it, the only way to throw the grenade is to make the 81 year old man a symbol, rather than a person. The same way people run over cats with their cars, but if they were walking they wouldn't stomp on the cat. Depersonification.
I also think that people are pussies. I am often a pussy. That's why you get private emails and no comment action when you post something like this. It's too uncomfortable. Personally, I enjoy playing the devil's advocate...though I can't remember for the life of me why I mentioned the colonists, Indians and slaves.