Thursday, March 3, 2011

Giving Thanks

I want to write and acknowledge how damn fortunate and lucky I am. Back in 2000, I was working for Eagle Electric. One of the jobs that I spent a whole lot of time on was a custom multi-million dollar home on the Lynnhaven River in VB. I came into the job as it was transitioning from roughing in to trimming out. I worked on the job until it was done. As a result, I got to see the family move in with all of their opulent art and furniture in place. The house itself was a work of art and gorgeous but all of the things weren't captivating to me. The land captivated me. There was something to the energy of the place that I could never shake. The job ended for me in early spring 2001 yet I continued to dream of that house and that land for years to follow. At least two to three times a year, for the last ten years, I would dream that I was back at the house and a part of that land.
Imagine my surprise last June when a friend of mine invited me to help a friend of hers with a landscaping job at the same house. I shared my story about the house with her and accepted the offer to earn some money. This was only about a month after my husband had left the children and me. I was freaking out over what I was going to do to make ends meet. I was beyond grateful to get out there and earn extra money. The homeowner recognized me when I arrived to work. He and I talked about where life had taken me in the years that followed. I explained how I went from doing electrical work to earning a biochemistry degree from Virginia Tech to working in the eye and tissue donation industry to being a stay home homeschooling mom. I also explained to him that my future was uncertain as my husband had just left and I wasn't sure what I was going to do in the months to come. I worked out there a few times in June and then was invited back to work in July. This time the homeowner asked if I could work for him directly. After two months of a lot of stuff that I am not going to get into here, I began working about 16 hours a week for this family.
My mother made a tongue in cheek comment at the time that maybe they'd adopt me. In many respects, that's exactly what they did. They have 10 acres of manicured gardens - WAY too much for me to maintain by myself in 16 hours. It is enough to keep two people busy for at least 40 hours a week nine months out of the year. The homeowner's recently told me this: "We like you and we like what you do. If we're helping you accomplish your parenting goals by minimally employing you here, then we are happy to keep you working". I honestly don't know how I would have made it through the last six months if this family hadn't given me the work. One thing is certain: we would have had to go back to a more mainstream way of life. I more than likely would have had to put the kids back into public school. I cannot even begin to express how grateful I have been for this opportunity.

One little section of the land...

1 comment:

memeticist said...

There are no coincidences. It is clear that now is not the time for you to re-enter the mainstream world of school and straight work. These folx are simply agents of the goddess (not to diminish their wonderfulness in anyway) making sure you stay on your path.

Now where that path is taking you, that is a most interesting question.