Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Humble Pie

So, I have to eat a humble pie. Yes, you read that right: not just a a bite or a slice, but an ENTIRE pie. 

I turned 30 Saturday. You know, the big 3-0. I told TR back in October that I wanted a party.I haven't had a party since I was.... hmmmm..... 8? I think? Anyway, I was embracing my inner child and wanted a big bash. His response? "Don't be a brat like Lisa. Just let it go and let me plan it!" You see, back in August, my older sister decided the week of her birthday that she wanted a party. She was a little put out that no one had any plans for her special day. Little did she know, Eric was busy behind the scenes planning a nice evening for her. Now I have to admit I fell prey to brat-itis as well.... 
      
For the last month, I've had friends and family ask me what I was doing for my birthday. "Do you have any special plans?" they asked repeatedly. "I don't know - ask Teddy" was my response time and time again. So, needless to say when my husband walked up to me Wednesday (12/10) and said "What do you want to do for your birthday?", I snapped. Snapped doesn't accurately capture it. I would say wild banshee woman took over. My eyes engulfed in flames, every muscle of my body quivering, I wheeled around on him and bitingly asked "What do you MEAN by that??? Do you mean to TELL me that it is three days away from my birthday and you don't have ANY plans??!!" (Teddy's Uncle James always says that you shouldn't ruin a good apology with an excuse but I am going to here for a moment; in my defense, I did have PMS.) 

The next day, my sister helped him play up the horrible husband routine. She emails me and tells me how it was killing her that we didn't have any plans for my birthday so she made reservations for us all to go out to eat. Teddy joins in, says to me that night, "I'm sorry. I didn't know you wanted a party". Man, I was fuming. I knew my husband suffered from selective deafness from time to time, but this took the cake. I just could not wrap my head around his inattention to detail. 

So, my friend Susan came in to town the day of my birthday. She and I went to VT together and I hadn't seen her since Floydfest in 2006.  By this point, I was over being angry. I was actually beginning to be a little suspicious that something was going down. Mom was being WAY accommodating about picking the kids up Saturday night despite having a Christmas party to go with John. Not that this was bad, it just wasn't like my mom. Furthermore, she was being really weird about me being in her house during the week, which was so unlike her. Teddy telling me that I couldn't go over to my mom's Saturday morning made me the most suspicious though. I actually thought at this point something was going on at Mom's. I still thought we were all going out to eat Sushi Saturday night. Onward with the story.... 

Susan arrived in the late afternoon. I still had to get ready to go out. You see, since I have been unemployed, I have had NO sense of urgency about getting anywhere. Susan got a good dose of this slackness. She showed up while I was still in my PJ's, finishing up cleaning the apartment for her arrival. I didn't get into the shower for another hour. I then did my hair and make up, which by the way, I haven't done that in almost a year. We left a few minutes before six, which was when we were supposed to meet up at Lisa's house to go out to dinner. 

We arrived at my sister's house about twenty after six. By this point, I knew something was up. Too many cars I recognized... It was still a surprise though. It was incredible. SOOOO many people there! In all, there were 30 children and adults there for my party; even Teddy's Aunt Lissa and Uncle Randy came from PA for the party!! My sister put together a slide show of pictures. It was from the baby stage all the way up to this year. Friends and family contributed these photos. Teddy had requested that distant friends who would be unable to attend make a video to send to me. I was able to see my other sister, Grace, via video thanks to her taking the time to put something together. Other friends also made videos but had technical difficulties so I haven't seen those yet. ( I am really looking forward to viewing their creativity when the time comes! ) Teddy knew how much I was missing Phoenix so he had decorated Lisa's house with pictures of Saguaro cacti - too neat. Then, to further prove to me just how much he listens, he told me that he had called Connie Ralston to see if she could do a drum circle for the party. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, but how flippin' sweet that he even thought to do it :) 

The only person who was missing was my best friend Mary. She had a great excuse. Friday morning at 6:50, she welcomed her brand new baby, Lily Grace, into the world. Here's the beautiful family : 
I *suppose* I can forgive her for her absence - LOL! I am very excited for them and even more excited to have a birthday buddy in the years to come. 

So, how was my birthday? It was fantastic in every way and it was all thanks to my husband and family. I have officially eaten my humble pie. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome gift! You are so blessed. :) And um...I'll forgive him for sending my invite to the wrong address......this time! ;)

Anonymous said...

all I have to say is... HAHAHAHAHA.

okay.. I am really glad you had a terrific day!! I was trying my best not to give anything away on the phone. I wanted to so bad.

Anonymous said...

Twenty after 6....hah. Believe it or not, 6:45pm Way Late! Nice try though.

Momma said...

No - I verified with MOM, Ms. Anonymous, that it was 6:20 :P I left the house @ 5:56 and it doesn't take THAT long to get to Greenbriar from here.
Love ya!!!!