Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Taking a Sabbatical

Okay, so maybe I won't be signed off for THAT long... I am going to sign off for a week. I'm challenging my son to do the same - no electronics for either of us for an entire week. I want to see what all we accomplish and do together once our electrical vices are removed. I just haven't decided when this week will start. I am thinking I will start it tomorrow, but I may find that I need a little propaganda time to make it seem like a challenge to Evan rather than a punishment. Kaya really doesn't care much for video games or the computer so she will be easy to convince. Evan and I - well, that's a bit more challenging.

Our family has done this previously, with the TV, back in 2006. We went a week without any TV whatsoever. We found that we didn't miss it at all. Teddy and I accomplished more around the house. The children, Teddy, and I spent much more quality time together as well. The eventual result was us getting rid of cable first, then finally getting rid of our large family TV altogether. I don't think it will be realistic to think that this week free of electronics will result in us ridding ourselves of a computer or a playstation. I DO think it will help us realize the importance of limiting their day to day use. Well, this is my hypothesis at least.

No comments: