Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Empower the Children

I've had a lot of feelings come up in the last week surrounding my children and how they are treated by various people in our lives. It has reminded me of this poem that I wrote in 1998. It's intensely personal yet I feel like I need to share it.

hello?
Hell-O?!
doesn't ANYBODY hear me?
you know, I may be short but I'm still here!
Remember me - the child you brought into the world?
why is it that nobody hears my voice?
"Children are meant to be seen, not heard."
I'm no less human because I am a child.

I think about things....
I wonder...
What if this is all a dream and I'm not even human - I'm a part of a different species.
I hope...
that my mom will leave Frank or that my Dad will come and rescue me.
I love...
my sister (protector) , my dog.
I fear...
crying myself to sleep, imagining living with Frank if my mother died.

See?
I have feelings too.
Please!
Just take the time to get to me know me,
the child.
Help give me a voice.

Believe in me,
Believe in the children.
Give us plenty of love,
Hug us,
Praise us
ask us about our feelings
This is all we need.
"Empower the children,
Empower the future"

Written for ALL children who are meant to be seen AND heard.

1 comment:

Momma said...

And along these lines, I want to share the following quote:
"and the old are supposed to protect the young
not endanger or exploit them
this is something i can't stress enough
having been fucked is no excuse for being fucked up
having been fucked is no excuse for being fucked up"
- Kimya Dawson "My Heroes"