Friday, February 4, 2011

Killer Coke House

My home has become a collective house in the last two weeks. This part of our journey began back in September. The separation papers were finally signed and I knew I needed a roommate to be able to make the rent without going back to work full time. My good friend Susan suggested her friend Sheila. It was a match & Sheila moved in. A few months later, my friend (& kids' babysitter) needed a place. Sheila, the kids and I agreed that Becca could move into the sun room and she joined us the last week of January. We had our first house meal/meeting a week ago yesterday.
Us adults share the same world view. We believe in mutual aid, sharing our resources, and sharing in the household chores. We have lots of political posters and pamphlets around our house. One poster hanging is this one:

We also believe in allowing the kids to have a voice in the process. The five of us were bantering back and forth over what our house name should be during dinner the other night. We asked the kids for their input. Kaya energetically exclaimed, "I think we should call us the Killer Coke house!" We all busted out laughing and decided NOT to opt for that name - can't imagine how long before the DEA would come knocking ;-) In the meantime, the brain storming continues...

No comments: